A Madman & Her Bear

welcome

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry as I needed it." -John Cage

quizás, quizás, quizás


Hey! It's a movie related update!

So I watched two new films this past week, The Darjeeling Limited and Frida. Frida was not initially on my list of films but I have such a great love of Frida Kahlo and also the other films I wanted were not in the library. So I reserved what I wanted and then grabbed these instead. My thoughts are as follows.

Frida: Gorgeous, absolutely well made. Julie Taymor, if nothing else, can direct a beautiful movie. I am not certain how historically accurate it is but I am rather fond of the fact that Frida did not become the passive victim sort that I think people often consider her. And also, there was no glossing over her bisexuality. Which was awesome! AWESOME. And the end, that's a piece of goddamned art.

Darjeeling Limited: Here's the deal. I like Wes Anderson. I think his films are brainless but generally fun, a good guilty pleasure sort of thing. He's pretty dude centered (no surprise here) and I find his characters kind of annoying. Also, I think his western gaze towards India is maybe a little fucked up? The use of a culture not ones own as a tool for both enlightenment and solving family troubles without letting that other culture be anything aside from a tool sort of strikes me as bad. And Anderson's eye on ladies is... well, weird. There are three named female characters in the entire film and we never see any of them interacting. So no passing the Bechdel test here. But for a sort of guilty pleasure film, no worries.

This week, I picked up three new films, so be expecting to hear about these: Lives of Others, Nowhere in Africa, and, ואלס עם באשיר‎.

0 people have thoughts on this topic: