Dear people of art school
I just thought you folks ought to understand this one simple thing I have laid out for myself: I do the work I do because I love it and it makes me happy. I don't do it because you like it or you enjoy it or you want me to. Your feelings, nonfeelings, like, dislike, neutrality or any other sort of things you have towards my work are only incidental. I use my art to understand myself, understand who I am under the layers of skin and muscle and mind. I'm getting down to the bare bones of things, the way I think and exist and move in this world. Your approval or non-approval are not important for this. I might ask an opinion of you but if this opinion is not helpful to me, I don't have to use it.
But more than that, even if you are looking at my art that is so incredibly expresive who I am, you do not ever have the right to put me down for who I am. Agree or disagree with the statements I make about the world but don't assume you know who I am or what I am made of.
All right? Got that?
Hugs and kisses,
-Dwyn Asher
1 people have thoughts on this topic:
FUCK YEAH
Post a Comment