I have many things to say today so, hopefully there will be like at least three blog posts before I go to bed tonight. Let's see how long this writing bug sticks in my head!
Anyway, here is the long awaited update as to how things are in the land of yore, namely New York City and specifically, School of Visual Arts. Joy! I landed here a little less than three weeks ago and moved into my room here about two and a half weeks ago. I've got a lovely roommate, Pheobe, who is also a photo major, though our interests in the subject differs at least slightly. I've got the most sublime view of the city from where I sit and were it not for the fact that I spend a good amount of the evenings missing home, I'd probably appreciate it ten times more than I do now. The neighborhood is quite nice, pretty safe with some decent stores around. There's even the city Opera thrift shop across the street from me and the place has just the prettiest stuff! Also, GREAT window displays! There's a charming bagel place I like to eat at now across the street and million other cool little places I am discovering all the time.
My classes are nice enough. I'm still very intimidated by dark room anything, it's not a medium I really understand yet. I figure as time passes, I'll get a better handle on it and my work will improve but for right now I'm depending on my good sense of composition to cover some of my more obvious flaws in working with film in general. Thankfully, I'm not the only student in the class who is unfamiliar with film, so at least I'm not all on my own!
I've got two lecture classes, one discussion class, one darkroom/critique class, and one critique class. My shortest day is Tuesday, where I'm in for History of Photography 1 for three hours, 9 to noon. The class is very interesting and the teacher, though a little dry, is passionate about the topic, which makes up for the lack of excitement in the topic. Though really, I think asphalt photos must be rather cool!
Wednesday is my longest class but not my longest day. Photo Workshop 1 keeps me from nine till three, six hours total, three in the darkroom and three for critique. I've got a lot to learn here, it's just hard to keep track of time in the darkroom. If I'm good about time, I'm able to get out in time to pick up something to nosh on during critique, if not, I've got to wait till three to have my lunch, which is never a nice way to spend my afternoons.
Thursday is the longest day, going from noon till nine thirty-ish. Each class is about three hours, first Lit and Writing 1, then Intro to Photography, and finally Foundation Symposium, which for this set of five weeks is alternative photography. To be honest, I am totally digging Alt Photo and also Lit and Writing. Intro to Photo is very intimidating and the teacher yells a lot, which is a little disorienting. Also, it is the class with the most math, which is not so popular with me. Seriously, we spend good chunks of time going over things like the quantum effect of light in digital cameras. It happens to be the class that most calls to mind Sam! But really, it's interesting, even if it's often tough to understand and not so much for the artsy me. We've got about a half hour for getting food between Intro to Photo and Alt Photo, which is good for me. After class, I walk home alone from the school building, which isn't bad, as it's only two blocks walking distance in an area full of people and well lit.
The homesickness is slowly getting better, now just coming in random waves. I've got my first letter from CA, I promptly sent a reply and that person will hopefully be getting it soon! Send more letters! Everything I get from home, I cherish. I tape things to my walls, brag about them to everyone I meet and make all my new friends here listen to my endless ramblings about how amazing people back home are. If you don't have my new address and want to send something, let me know, I'll email it to you or somehow get it to you. I'm gonna try to send out birthday cards and the like, just have some patience with me while I figure it all out here.
When I'm not in class, I cook, I hang out with my new friends downstairs [everyone is downstairs from me, I'm on the top floor], I read, I do artwork, I put more pictures of my friends on my walls, and I watch tv online. I'm now up to date on Bones, which is lovely, I've watched some old Batman too. Dani, downstairs, has introduced me to Junjou Romantica, which is AMAZING and I'm eagerly awaiting season 2. I've also discovered the joys of Doctor Who and that whole universe. Seriously, if you like sci-fi in anyway, WATCH THIS SHOW! Seriously amazing! I've just watched the 2005 season, stopping just after the Tenth Doctor shows up. I then took a break to watch my new favorite show, Torchwood, which is another show from the same universe, a spin-off from Doctor Who. IT IS THE BEST SHOW EVER! WATCH THIS SHOW! Seriously, it's turned me into a major fangirl, I seriously sit at my desk, watch this show and giggle every five seconds. I'm a sight to be seen. Brilliant, brilliant show, I've just about gotten up to date on it [I'm watching Fragments, the second to last episode of the second series] and I'm dying for the next bit to start!
WATCH THIS SHOW!!! DO IT NOW!!!
-end fangirling-
That's pretty much all that's going down here, stay tuned for more, I promise I'll be doing more writing as I have the time and the ideas. Also, people who don't have blogger accounts [and people who do], you can still comment on the blog! Please do, your comments make my day! Also, I'm always interested to see who reads here!
Quote of the Day
"Until you know that life is interesting - and find it so - you haven't found your soul." - Geoffrey Fisher
0 people have thoughts on this topic:
Post a Comment