A Madman & Her Bear

welcome

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry as I needed it." -John Cage

dwyn rather wishes it was raining women but as long as the weather girls are singing, all is well


Guys, let's talk about assholes. Specifically, let's talk about the National Organization for Marriage ('NOM' --> LOL!), which is, if you did not know, against marriage. Weird, right? I should be specific. They're against gay marriages, which still strikes me as odd from an organization claiming to be for marriage. But whatever. If we went through the sexist, racist, homophobic, generally bigoted, and hypocritical things groups like this one say, well, we'd never have time to do anything else. But moving on. After Iowa's supreme court decision to allow gay marriage, they got together this ad to show in Iowa. It's an incredibly ridiculous ad but it's actually pretty funny, so I'll post it here.



Right, so not only are we taking away the rights but we're scaring the shit out of them. Right. Ok. So, between baking babies into bread and practicing witchcraft with my lesbian coven, I'm joining with the throngs of queer folk who are, as you have heard in the news, going about and breaking into the homes of homophobes and taking away their stuff and burning their bibles and making them gay marry.

Oh, wait, you haven't heard that in the news? Gays aren't taking to the street in a bid to destroy western civilization with our same-sex kissing? And we're not making the homophobes gay marry? And we're not converting their children? And we're not taking their shit and making them all queer and stuff? We're not making the women listen to the Indigo Girls and wear flannel? We're not making the men get makeovers and memorize show tunes?

What the fuck are they complaining about then?

I'm not sure, but I do know that the reaction to this ad on YouTube is pretty damn funny. YouTube does tend to be a bit not LGBT friendly so it's kind of cool to see all the queer folks and the allies come out swinging. Check it out! I'll post some of my favorites here. If you find good ones, please do share!

Oh, and also hysterical, NOM is doing a campaign against gay marriage called 2 Million For Marriage, which is abbreviated like this: 2M4M. For all of you who are not aware of the acronymns in gay chat rooms, allow me to explain that M4M means 'Man for Man' which is pretty much for guys looking to hook up with other guys (or that's how it's been explained to me, click over to Shakesville to see the hilarity). So I think the self-parody of NOM is such that any minute now they will be imploding or something. Thoughts?





There's a big number of folks who take the text of the ad and then read it themselves. These are HYSTERICAL. I should contemplate doing one! Would you watch it?



I'm also loving the angry, kick ass, factual videos. Cause really, the way we win this is we get mad. We get mad and we get smart and we fight their hate with intelligent, fact-based, loving ass-kicking. I'm not saying violence. I'm saying we come back from these ads with our own youtube videos, art, writing, anything. You see someone who honestly believes shit like this ans you give them facts, reasons, stories, anything you can think of so that they can understand that it's not just them who is involved in this. In fact, the honest truth of the thing is that gay marriage has nothing to do with people that aren't queer. It's not really their buisness. It is not about them. So let the homophobes around you know that this is the case. It's not about them. They want to hate queer folk? Fine. But they don't have the right to use their faith to limit rights to other people, particularly when those rights have nothing, not one thing to do with them. Got that?

Homophobes, butt the fuck out of our lives.





And now, something just related barely. Keith Olberman, who I generally think is kind of a privilaged douche, did a special comment after Prop 8 passed. And honestly, despite his weird privilege stuff that does show up on other occasions, I think this is pretty beautiful. I think straight allies need to be comfortable with going to other straight folk who are spouting shit about queer folk and they need to be able to say these things. When queer folk call people on this stuff, we get dismissed as being just angry queers. I'll talk more about this at a later date, now I'm just getting thoughts down.



And let's always leave 'em laughing...


0 people have thoughts on this topic: